A GREAT VALENTINE’S CAKE THAT IS SIMPLE TO MAKE, EVEN FOR THOSE WHO ARE LESS ROMANTIC
PREP 25 MINS | COOK 60 MINS
MEDIUM | SERVES 12
For the cake:
- 250 ml of your favourite Porter/Dark beer
- 250 g organic unsalted butter
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 25 g Organika®’s Maca+Cacao powder
- 400 g Organika®’s Coconut Palm Sugar
- 142 ml organic sour cream
- 2 organic large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 275 g plain flour
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 10–15 caps of Organika®’s Reishi Mushroom Extract, opened
For the icing:
- 300 g organic cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of Organika®’s Enhanced Collagen™
- 150 g Organika®’s Coconut Palm Sugar, finely ground in a Magic Bullet or food processor
- 125 ml organic double cream (or whipping cream)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter and line parchment in a 23 cm / 9 inch springform tin.
- Pour the Dark/Porter beer into a large wide saucepan, add the butter–in spoons or slices–and heat until the butter is melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa, Reishi, Maca+Cacao and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan. Whisk in the flour and bicarb.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to one hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
- Once the cake is cool, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sift over the finely ground coconut sugar and then beat them together.
To do this in a processor, put the coconut sugar in first and blitz until it is finely ground before adding the cream cheese.
- Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.