And the debate of the day – Non-GMO vs. Organic.
Have you heard the news?
Both our Instant Maca Powder and Instant Quinoa Powder are now officially Non-GMO Certified! As our Alive and Top Ten Innovative Product award winners, we are happy to include this certification to the list of reasons to get keen on quinoa, and get a move on maca.
We are thrilled to continue sustaining Non-GMO options to Canadians and consumers worldwide amongst our award winning foods and to uphold our dedication to quality products for your health. The Non-GMO Project Verified Seal indicates that:
- For low-risk ingredients, there are thorough reviews of ingredient specification sheets to determine absence of GMO risk.
- Verification is maintained through an annual audit, along with onsite inspections for high-risk products.
- We require ongoing testing of all at-risk ingredients—any ingredient being grown commercially in GMO form must be tested prior to use in a verified product.
As happy as we are to be providing quality, Non-GMO products to you, this news got us thinking at the Organika® creative labs – what exactly is Non-GMO, and how does it stack up to Certified Organic products?
Non-GMO vs Organic
GMO stands for “Genetically Modified Organisms” which have been artificially modified in a laboratory through genetic manipulation and engineering. Often times these GMO are added to fruits, vegetables and other food products to increase shelf life, and to promote desired sizes, textures and tastes.
- Virtually no genetically modified organisms added.
- Non-GMO product verification requires yearly audits, and ongoing testing of at risk ingredients.
- Reviews for low-risk ingredients to determine absence of GMO risk.
Organic is not quite synonymous with Non-GMO; organic certification indicates stringent organic farming procedures that prevent pesticide usage AND the addition of GMO. Organic products do not contain GMO or a number of other additives that have been deemed as potentially harmful to human health!
- Stringent organic farming procedures that prevent pesticide usage and the addition of GMO.
- Toxic pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, and artificial colors & flavors are all prohibited under USDA & Canadian organic regulations.1
- Strict certification processes to be 100% certified.
Organika Health Team