DIY Kombucha at Home!
We love kombucha!
We were recently taught how to make DIY Kombucha at home by our founder Thomas Chin! Who knew making your own Kombucha could be so easy, tasty, and not to mention the money you can save! Here is what you’ll need to make your own super Kombucha!
Ingredients & Supplies
- 1 cup of Organika’s coconut palm sugar
- 1 gallon of water (16 cups)
- 14 tea bags or orange pekoe tea
- 1 SCOBY
- 1 porcelain jar (4 litres size)
- 1 cheese cloth
- 1 rubber band
- Combine tea bags and bring water to boil.
- Remove the tea bags. The longer the tea is left in the liquid, the stronger the tea will be.
- Combine the sugar into the mixture. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature (20-30°C or 68-85°F).
- Add an active kombucha SCOBY
- Cover the jar with a tight-weave towel or cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band. The tight-weave towel or cheese cloth allows the liquid to breathe. Please make sure there is no debris on the cloth or it will become fermented.
- Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed at (20-30°C or 68-85°F), out of sunlight, for 5-7 days or to taste. The longer the kombucha ferments, the less sweet and more vinegary it will taste.
- Optional – If you prefer plain kombucha, skip to step 11. If you want to add flavouring, you will need to do a second brew. There is no limit to the flavoring possibilities. Try adding ginger or fruits (Thomas recommends lavender). Remember to just add 1 small piece, literally, for starters and adjust to taste. You can also try adding 1 tsp of superfoods like Organika’s Organic Spirulina Powder or Activated Charcoal for added health benefits.
- After adding the flavoring or superfoods, cover the jar with a tight-weave towel or cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band again.
- Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed at (20-30°C or 68-85°F), out of sunlight, for another 3 days or to taste.
- Once the kombucha has finished culturing, remove the SCOBY and store it in a Tupperware in the fridge.
- Pour the kombucha out into a Grolsch-style bottle or other tightly-sealed bottles. This creates a fizzy finished kombucha.
- Drink and enjoy!!