Healthy Skin from Within!
Chelan Wilkins, RHN
Healthy Skin comes from within!If you are like me, you've probably spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on skin care products. We try to capture that picturesque, dewy and youthful complexion! With so many different products on the market, different types of procedures ranging from facials, chemical peels, skin resurfacing and all the way to injections, the beauty industry have become popular for us women; this goes for men too. We too, try and achieve the ultimate complexion. However, it wasn’t until I became a Nutritionist did I realize that the thousands of dollars that I had spent on products and procedures were not just the only solution to clearing up my skin conditions. This is where most of these skins conditions start from within our body!
WHY SHOULD WE TAKE CARE OF OUR SKIN?Our skin is our bodies largest organ measuring around 22 square feet and over 6 lbs! It is our protective casing, our insulating shield, packed with a large number of sensors filled with nerves that communicate with our brain! Our skin is also the biggest showcase for things going wrong within our body – think hives as an example. Our skin plays a vital role on the outside of our organization as well as the for the inside of our body leading us to the case that healthy skin comes for a healthy inside! Just like our kidneys and liver work to detoxify toxins, bacteria and other harmful substances out of the body, our skin also does! Generally, our skin is one of the top 3 detoxifying organs in the body, and anyone who has ever completed a cleanses can attest to having some “ skin break out” during or post-cleanse. Ever wonder why this happens? Well, it is our skin detoxifying those built up toxins inside and passing through our skin. So how does this play in daily life when we find ourselves suffering from the following skin conditions below?
- Skin rashes ( chicken-like bumps )
- Premature ageing
WHERE DOES IT START?Our digestive tract – that is where it starts! When we think about it, our digestive tract is responsible for breaking down all the nutrients from our food, absorbing all those phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins. Our digestive tract is the common link to inflammation in our body, the creation of certain hormones, metabolising foods, housing both harmful and good bacteria and excreting wastes from our collection. A healthy digestive tract is essential for so many important health factors, our skin health included. When we look at the link between the skin as mentioned earlier conditions they all have been shown to correlate “ leaky gut“, an imbalance in intestinal flora, lack of protein absorption, inflammation, celiacs disease and other autoimmune disorders.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR DIGESTIVE TRACT:Being aware of our digestive health is an excellent starting point for optimal skin health, and there are a few different ways we can support our digestive tract for healthy skin.
1) GETTING ON A HEALTHY DIETEating a diet rich in fibre, fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds, salmon and avoiding those foods high in refined sugar, processed, gluten-containing and being mindful of alcohol consumption.
2) WATER! WATER! WATER!Water is so essential for many functions in our body; skin and digestive health included. Water helps flush those toxins out of the body, increases motility of our bowels, as well as retains moisture in our skin making it dewy and youthful looking.
3) CONSUMING PROBIOTICSProbiotics are an essential component and game changer in my skin health! They are healthy bacteria that help fight off the harmful bacteria in our digestive tract; they assist in our digestion by keeping us regular, helping our body absorb all the nutrients from our food as well as reduces inflammatory conditions from food sensitivities. Often Dr’s have been known to prescribed “ Anti-Biotics” for acne – Think of Probiotics as “ natures anti-biotics “ as they do the same job without destroying our healthy gut flora!
4) TAKING OMEGA-3 FISH OILSRich in Omega 3 fatty acids known for the influential role in our heart, brain and skin health! Omega 3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation in our body, skin included. They are essential for the appearance of our skin as well as well as a preventive in early ageing.
5) SUPPLEMENTING WITH COLLAGEN / BONE BROTHCollagen is the most abundant form of protein in our body and makes up around 90 % of our body! We have over 28 different types of collagen in our body, and it is Type 1 collagen that we find in our skin! Collagen is what holds the elasticity and structure to our skin as wells help keep cellulite away. Not only are Collagen and collagen-rich bone broth great for skin conditions, but both of these staples in my diet are also excellent for digestive health !. Loaded with essential amino acids such as Glycine, Proline and Lysine – these amino acids help heal gastrointestinal disorders, increased our absorption, reduce inflammation in our body and assist with the health of our skin from the inside out.
CONCLUSION:Following a good skin regime, both nutritionally, as well as the products that we use topically, will all lead to a more healthy looking complexion. These are a few of my favourite and daily necessities for my skin health. For more information in regards to DIY skin care products, routines and more information about my favourite tips above make sure to check out www.organika.com for great recipes, blogs and information.
|Active Acidophilus||Super Active Multi-Dophilus|
|Probiotic that forms part of a natural, healthy gut flora.||A comprehensive blend of probiotics that promote healthy microbial balance and supports the function of the digestive tract.|
|Enhanced Collagen||Bone Broth Chicken|
|Promotes healthier hair, skin, and nails. Supports bone, joint, and gut health.||Pure Bone Broth in a convenient to use nutrient-packed powder.|