Detox This Holiday with Gummy Bears!
Say what?! I can detox with gummy bears?
Well, it’s easier than you think when you make gummies at home with all-natural, detox-boosting ingredients like Spirulina, lemon, and natural sweeteners.
As we all know, the holidays seem to be a time for over-indulging (just a little at least). A cookie here, an extra glass of wine there, three plates too many at dinner. You know the drill.
So having some tricks up your sleeve to help enhance your body’s detoxing processing is usually very welcome. And what better way to do this than with candy?
Here are a few key ingredients that boost the detoxifying powers of these gummies:
- Spirulina: This green machine packs a major antioxidant punch, is rich in iron and protein, and is also known as a “chelator”. Chelators help to pull heavy metals out of the body, including mercury. Not only is it rich in protein, it is actually what is known as a “complete protein“, and contains all of the essential amino acids. This is one of the few vegan sources that contains all essential amino acids, the others include quinoa and hemp hearts!
- Lemon: Lemon is in nearly all detox recipes for a reason: because it’s powerful stuff! Lemon helps to cleanse the liver because it stimulates bile production. More bile means more movement, and a quicker pathway for toxins to be excreted out of the body.
- Raw honey: As it is unpasteurized, it still has all of the good enzymes that help your body to stay in optimal shape (think immune system support).
- Bovine gelatin: While it isn’t known as a detoxifier, it helps to support our bodies detoxification processes! Gelatin is known to help support healing of the gut lining, and the gut is the start of where our detoxification happens. If we are not breaking food down properly to begin with, and absorbing our nutrients, everything downstream is going to have some difficulties.
- Spring water: If you’re really looking to detox, it is important to choose your water properly. Depending on where you live, our tap water is full of substances like chlorine and fluoride, which can cause a little bit of chaos for your insides. So starting with clean spring water is your best bet.
Your Fool-Proof Recipe For Detox Gummies:
- On low heat, combine 1/4 cup spring water, honey, lemon and peppermint oil in a small pot.
- In a separate bowl combine 3/4 cup of spring water with 3 tbsp. of gelatin. Stir and let sit until the water is all absorbed. This is called “blooming” the gelatin.
- Once absorbed, turn off heat and add gelatin to mixture, whisking rigorously.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in Spirulina.
- Place in molds.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
Recipe via Natalie Lalljee, Organika Sales Professiona & R.H.N.
The information provided herein is for informational purposes only. The products or claims made about specific nutrients or products are reviewed and evaluated by Organika based on available scientific evidence on its initiative. Such applications, however, have not been specifically assessed by Health Canada. Organika makes no guarantee or warranty with respect to any products sold, and shall not be responsible for any indirect, inconsequential and/or special damages for the reliance on or use of any information contained herein. This information is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or another medical professional. You should not use this information for diagnosing a health problem or disease but should always consult your physician.