Eat + Drink
Chocolate "Risotto" - Grain Free
Dr. Tara Sunshine MD
If you’re a chocoholic like me — and especially if you love chocolate for brekkie — this is one you really gotta try. The base for my “risotto” is cauliflower. Don’t let this scare you off — it has an amazing texture and flavour and a couple of my taste-testers actually thought it was rice! It also happens to be dairy-free, grain-free and packed with antioxidants, fibre, healthy fats, protein, adaptogens, and even pre and probiotics!! Cauliflower is one of my fav veggies. It is incredibly versatile and rich in vitamins & minerals, fibre, and disease-fighting glucosinolates, phenols and other powerful phytochemicals. Cruciferous vegetables — a family that includes cauli as well as broccoli, kale, cabbage, and brussel sprouts — have been getting a lot of attention of late. Studies suggest that these nutritional powerhouses may have a role in preventing chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and even certain cancers. In this recipe, I have also used tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are not actually nuts but starchy tubers. They have a slightly sweet, earthy, nutty flavour and are incredibly rich in resistant starch, making them a great prebiotic (read more about pre & probiotics and gut health on my website). Unlike other starchy veg, tiger nuts are also a good source of healthy fats.
Chocolate "Risotto" - Grain-free
EASY | SERVES 4
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp ground tiger nuts
- 1 can (1.5 cups) organic full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (I used cashew milk)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (omit for nut-free)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp Organika Enhanced Collagen (vegan omit or substitute one scoop natural protein) powder
- 1 Tbsp Organika Gelatinized Maca
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds (gluten-free if needed)
- pure stevia or maple syrup to sweeten as desired
- optional toppings: raw cacao nibs and toasted unsweetened coconut chips
- In a medium pot, mix together cauliflower, chia seeds and ground tiger nuts.
- Put both milks, almond butter, cacao powder, collagen, maca, cinnamon and sea salt
- into blender container. Blend well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the pot, stir to combine, and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until
- desired texture and consistency reached.
- Remove from heat and stir-in hemp seeds and sweetener to taste.
- Serve with toppings as desired and enjoy!