Eat + Drink
Golden Butternut Squash Soup
Dr. Tara Sunshine MD
By: Dr. Tara Sunshine (@drtarasunshine) Butternut squash has got to be one of my absolute fav soups. And thankfully my crush is justified! In addition to being super yummy & versatile, squash is packed with fibre, minerals, and vitamins such as A and C. It is also rich in antioxidants that help protect against heart disease. Furthermore, these powerful phytonutrients have benefits for the eyes and skin (anti-aging), helping you to look and feel your best. This soup uses homemade squash purée (see directions below), but canned purée could certainly be substituted for convenience. Organika's bone broth powder provides that wonderful natural anti-inflammatory turmeric and all the benefits of bone broth/collagen without any muss or fuss!
Medium | SERVES 4
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash purée
- 1 cup canned organic full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp Organika Turmeric Bone Broth Powder
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- optional toppings: shelled hemp seeds, micro greens, pumpkin seeds
- Heat oil in medium-sized pot over medium high-heat and swirl to coat.
- Add shallots and sauté until shallots begin to brown and soften, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Put cooked shallots and garlic and the remainder of the ingredients into a food processor or blender container. Blend on high until smooth.
- If using a Vitamix, you can use the soup setting to heat it up. Otherwise, pour the soup back into the pot and place over medium heat to warm. Serve with toppings as desired & enjoy!