Setting New Year's Intentions
The Organika Team
So what are intentions, anyway?If goals are your destination, intentions are the way you go about getting there. Do you stay focused and try to cover as much terrain as possible? Or do you prefer to take your time and smell the flowers along the way? Setting intentions is a great way to stay grounded in the present moment. Your intentions guide your consciousness towards what is truly meaningful to you and help you avoid getting caught up in unhelpful thoughts and emotions. Intentions are less tangible and clear-cut than goals. Numbers and deadlines aren’t needed here. Neither is having a specific end game in mind! Detaching from the outcome and accepting uncertainty as a part of the process makes it easier to roll with the punches and re-adjust to the challenges life throws your way.
How do I set intentions?You can choose to set your intentions by writing them down, meditating or making a ritual out of it! Set aside some time, find a quiet and comfortable place, and start by peering within. As cheesy as that sounds, an authentic intention is one that resonates with your personal thoughts, values and outlook on life. Some things you may want to consider when coming up with your intentions are:
- What do you value most?
- What are you grateful for?
- Is there anything would you like to nurture or invite into your life?
- What would you like to let go of?
More yoga, water and self-care
Fill myself with new experiences
Get enough rest to have the strength and energy I need
Read more books
Pave the path for new beginnings
Get together with my friends more often
Detox beyond my body - clear the unnecessary from my house, social media, phone and email inbox
Make time to sweat, breathe and create every day
Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone
Embrace myself and who I am with no apologies
I set my New Year's intentions! Now what?Don’t sweat it! Intentions aren’t meant to add more stress or pressure into your life. Carry them in your heart and trust the process. Put up reminders of your intentions where you can see them. Think about them when you feel your focus is drifting away. Here are some other tips to help you along your journey!
- Give yourself some time to settle into the new year.
- Don’t beat yourself up over slip-ups or off days.
- Try to remember your intentions when feeling under pressure. They will remind you of what’s truly important.
- Practice gratitude each day. Find time to appreciate the good things in life!
- Find a friend you can share your successes, joys and fears with.
- Don’t be afraid to refresh your intentions when needed. You can make it a monthly, weekly or even daily ritual.
- Take care of yourself – mind, body and spirit.