Eat + Drink
Hormone-Boosting Maca+Cacao Chocolates
Healthy-eating doesn't mean you need to skip out on the spice of life... A.K.A. chocolate. In fact, choosing the right types of chocolate can actually have a host of health benefits. So when we choose to use superfood ingredients (like in these Maca+Cacao Chocolates), we're actually doing our body good!
Before we get into the recipe, let's look at some easy ways to give your chocolates a superfood boost:
Tip 1: Make your chocolates at home.Purchasing fair-trade, organic chocolate on a weekly basis can get expensive. And most of the time, we can't even get through a whole week with just one bar! When you make your own, you cut down on costs, plus you get to make it to suit your needs and dietary choices.
Tip 2: Choose cacao powder.When looking to add in your chocolate base, try to choose cacao powder when possible. Or at least ensure you are using fair-trade cocoa powder. What's the difference between cacao and cocoa? Cacao is the raw version, cocoa is roasted!
Tip 3: Go refined-sugar free.If you like things a little sweeter, use raw honey, or pure maple syrup. Or if you're following a low-sugar diet, try Stevia or Monk Fruit Sweetener.
Tip 4: Don't forget the fat!One of the best ways to take your chocolates from a treat, to a full-out afternoon snack, is by adding a healthy fat like coconut oil, a nut butter, or some MCT Oil Powder. This will help you stay satiated AND curb your sugar craving!
Tip 5: Go wild with superfoods!When you make your own chocolates at home, you can add lots of superfoods. Our favourites are Maca, goji berries, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, chia seed... really we could go on forever!
Here's how you can make your own hormone-boosting Maca+Cacao Chocolates at home:
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil or coconut butter
- 1.5 tbsp honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 heaping tbsp. of Organika's Maca+Cacao powder
- 1 tsp. Organika's Bovine Gelatin
- Silicon molds of choice
- Optional: add coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, almond slices, or peppermint
- Melt coconut oil or butter in a small dish on the stove (or in microwave)
- Stir in honey or maple syrup
- Mix in Maca+Cacao Powder
- Sprinkle in gelatin powder. Continuously sure to ensure there is no clumping.
- If you choose to use other superfoods, add them in after everything is combined.
- Pour into molds and place in freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove, and enjoy! And if you don't eat the whole batch right away, place them in an air-tight container and store in fridge or freezer.